20 Sep Tips for your next Skype interview
These days it’s not uncommon for a company to utilize Skype for an interview. It saves both you and them the hassle of meeting up and can be incredibly convenient when applying for a remote position. But it is important to remember that a Skype interview is just that…AN INTERVIEW. Therefore, it is important that you nail it if you want to be considered for the job. So how should you prepare for your next one?
- Look the part: Although you may be sitting in your dining room during the interview, that doesn’t mean you should dress casually. Dress like you would for an in-person interview and treat it with the same level of professionalism.
- Prepare your surroundings: You may dress professionally but that doesn’t mean you should have your favorite band poster as your backdrop. Find a neutral place in your home to conduct the interview. This will allow you to be taken seriously and won’t distract the interviewer. It’s also a good idea to silence your phone and close all other tabs on your computer to ensure you won’t have any distractions.
- Practice! Conducting your first Skype interview can be a bit awkward which is why it is so important to practice. Figure out how loud to speak, where to place your hands, and most importantly where to look. Find what feels both natural and professional.
- Stay present: When you are talking to a computer screen it may be easy to let your eyes wander. By cutting out distractions you’ll be able to focus on what the interviewer is saying and show your interest in the job at hand.
- Address tech problems: There is nothing worse than only catching every other word of what the interviewer has to say. Rather than trying to guess what is being said, let the interviewer know you’re having difficulties. This will allow you to give clear, conscious, and accurate answers.
Just like any other interview remember to breath, prepare accordingly, and act confident. By following these simple tips your next Skype interview may just lead to your next job.